I decided to do my clip on episode 10 called “Harsh Words.” In this clip Robin comes back to the place after a crazy night of drinking and being at the clubs. When she gets back Aneesa was there making food and Robin starts to lie into her. Robin tells Aneesa that she confuses the shit out of her; she doesn’t know whether Aneesa is Gay, Straight, White, Black, Hispanic, or what? This comment doesn’t sit to well with Aneesa and tells Robin that she is a disgrace to women, and that she is embarrassed for her. Aneesa tries to talk to Robin later that night or early morning telling Robin that she will never understand what it is like to live a day in her shoes. Robin then proceeds to say that Aneesa is so hard to trust because it is like she is always a different person. Everywhere they have been together it is like Aneesa is someone different from her accent to her hair. Robin asks Aneesa at the end who the hell are you? Many of the cast members in the house saw this argument and were very offended and embarrassed for Robin and what she said.
When this episode was coming out about 6 weeks ago, I found it interesting how much this argument was flashed up on the previews for this episode. I thought that maybe is was maybe because of the topic’s that Robin brought up to throw in Aneesa’s face are issue’s that we are dealing with in our American culture today.
This clip did not have a hidden message rather the message that Robin sent was quiet overt. There wouldn’t have been a hidden message in this clip because its real life and Robin was drunk she wasn’t trying to make anything a secret message rather she said exactly what was on her mind. I thought however during this clip that Robin might have said something things that maybe were unintended but actually she defended herself and really wanted Aneesa to pick what she was and stick to it.
I thought that when in this clip after Robin went off at Aneesa and the other cast members didn’t know what to say and others felt embarrassed, that it reminded me of in class the other day when we watched the clip from “All in the Family,” where there were many racial jokes and comments that were brought up. I know that at least from my back of the room it made us uncomfortable and feel embarrassed for Mr. Jefferson. This related to my clip because embarrassment was the mutual feeling that many of the cast members felt and really made them uncomfortable the things that Robin said. I think that this is an interesting thing in our culture today, this feeling of embarrassment and feelings of uneasiness when racial cuts are made at others. I mean it is great that people aren’t ok with it today but how can we get over that embarrassment part and address it when it happens or do you think this is something that will always surround the sensitive topic of gender and race?
Another interesting point that I saw in this clip was that the "verbal attacker" was white and the "verbal victim" was black. Now I am not sure if this has to do with power or not but it just seemed like it in this clip. It was like Robin was Ms. Big O' Mighty and Aneesa just had to stand there and take what she was saying and had nothing to say back to Robin. I mean I felt like Aneesa was the bigger person when she just walked away and did blow up and hit Robin for the things she said because I am sure I would have. But for Aneesa to approach Robin when she was calmed down and told her that she would be able to forgive her some day, was just awesome to see how big of a person Anessa was there and really kinda threw that power thin out the door for me, at least.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Ali! I think out of all of the Duel episodes, you made a great choice in choosing episode 10 for this assignment. It's funny because the clip I chose was similar. Both of our clips has cast mates who came home drunk and started attacking the African Amercian cast mate with racial comments and making assumptions about that person. I didn't even think about how emabarrassed I was for either person until you mentioned it. It is true, that in America today, when someone makes a racial comment, the atmosphere becomes uncomfortable for everyone present. I think I know what triggered the cast mate in my clip to start making racial comments, but I have no clue what triggered Robin to go up to Aneesa and say those things. Because everything is candid on the show, and the producers have to make the story line's by piecing together film clips, I think that there might have been a hidden tension between Aneesa and Robin where something had been said between the two earlier that night.
Post a Comment